Keadilan buat mangsa

Keadilan buat mangsa

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Ridiculous to increase state royalty payment


.... the quota of oil royalty distribution to the country's three oil producing states – Sabah, Sarawak and Terengganu – is not as straight forward or simplistic as the 5% figure suggests. When you give them 5% for drilling oil in their offshore fields, the impression given is that Petronas, the national oil company, gets the other 95%.

This is not the case and to a large extent this public misconception is due to the fact that many Malaysians, including parliamentarians, have been kept in the dark about who's getting what in the oil and gas production industry, which is by far our biggest revenue earner.

Despite this issue being recycled, no one has come out to reveal the royalty sharing formula. I did my own enquiries and a former senior executive of a multinational oil company told me something informative that I am delighted to share here.

According to my source, this is how it works – 5% is federal royalty and another 5% is state government royalty. Of the balance, up to 20% goes to what is known as 'cost oil' to recover the cost of production. This leaves a balance of 70% which is split between the operator and Petronas. The operator here means foreign oil companies that commit billions in investment to drill for oil in the fields awarded to them by Petronas. At times, they spend billions without striking any oil of the volume required to make it commercially viable.

He cited as an example, a typical production sharing contract (PSC) between a foreign oil company and Petronas – of the 70%, 30% goes to the company and the balance to Petronas.

In terms of oil barrels, let's say for every 100 barrels, the PSC split is five barrels to the Federal Treasury, five barrels to the State Treasury, and up to 20 barrels claimed by the operator as cost oil. The balance of 70 barrels is split 70:30 with Petronas getting 70% or 49 barrels, and the operator 30% or 21 barrels.

To the credit of Petronas, at long last on Oct 12, it came out with what I consider to be one of the most significant press statements it has ever released. As far as I can recall, this was the first time that Petronas has reacted to the oil royalty issue, a departure from its past policy of avoiding to discuss it openly.

Petronas said that its own sustainability to contribute to the nation would be undermined should royalty payments to the states be increased from 5% to 20%, because it would result in lower petroleum income tax payments.

What politicians like PR de facto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, who once served as finance minister and who's been harping on increasing the royalty to 20%, deliberately don't tell the people is that what they are trying to do is to put our entire oil and gas industry at risk.

Petronas explained that over the next five years alone, planned projects with a total capital expenditure worth about RM170 billion are at risk of being cancelled if the royalty payment to the states is increased.

Any increase in oil royalty to the states would automatically reduce the profitability and economic viability of all current and future oil and gas projects under development. This in itself will deter Petronas and PSC contractors from further investing in these projects.

There are some among the ruling BN leaders in the two states who are beginning to be influenced by the prospect of a royalty increase. They are voicing out to the federal government to consider giving them an increase, but what they fail to realise is that a reduction in the oil and gas production will result in lower payments to the states. It's still 5% but this 5% in monetary terms will be much less.

Extracted from Azman Ujang, Bernama article here

2 comments:

  • Anonymous says:
    November 3, 2012 at 11:28:00 PM GMT+8

    So, Petronas, Federal and State share sell the barrels to oil traders at what price?

    And what about the other 20% at what price?

    Nak tipu siapa ni?



  • Anonymous says:
    November 4, 2012 at 12:17:00 PM GMT+8

    Please enlighten us.. If tht irresponsible statement frm peninsular was true tht giving away 20% could undermine the contribution to the nation, what is got to do with sabah? The oil belongs to us.. U hv to gv what is right to the oil producing state. Are we saying without sabah forming Malaysia in 1963, Malay states would suffer and die? Come on la.. Sabah is the poorest state in thee country and yet u dare to say abt ur contribution to the nation? 38 years our rights been denied by the unfair oil agreement, we got almost nothing but become the poorest state. We r among the largest oil, timber and palm oil producer but still become the poorest state? Do the maths please...

fda

Get your volunteer initiatve funded!

Link2Me WeLinkBk (254)